Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462)
This visa is for people aged 18 to 30 who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to one year.
The Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur processes Work and Holiday visa applications for persons who hold Malaysian passports. However, all applications must be lodged in person at the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC - VFS Global) and cannot be lodged directly at the Australian High Commission.
If you are Australian, aged 18 to 30 and would like to travel to Malaysia for work and holiday experience, visit the Malaysian High Commission in Australia's website for more information.
Under the Malaysia/Australia Work and Holiday visa programme, there is an annual limit on how many Work and Holiday visas can be granted each year to Malaysian passport holders.
Once all visas within the annual limit have been granted, no further Subclass 462 visas can be granted to Malaysian citizens until the following year programme year.
2014-2015 Work and Holiday visa programme
The 2014-2015 Malaysia/Australia Work and Holiday visa programme is now closed, as the annual limit of 100 visas have been granted. This website will be updated towards the middle of 2015 with arrangements regarding the 2015-2016 Malaysia/Australia Work and Holiday Visa programme.
Letter of government support
All applicants must provide a letter of support from the Malaysian Government at the time that they submit their application to the AVAC. As in past years, in the 2014-2015 visa programme year, this letter of support will take the form of a current Malaysian ‘Police Good Conduct Certificate’ (CGC). A Malaysian CGC will be considered ‘current’ if it has been issued within the last year prior to application lodgement.
Please note that an application that does not include a current Malaysian CGC will be invalid and will not be accepted by the AVAC.
All applicants will be required to undergo a chest x-ray. In some circumstances, you may also be requested to undertake a medical examination. More information explaining the health requirements is available from this website. See: Health requirements
In addition to providing a current Malaysian CGC, you may also be requested to provide a police certificate from one or more other countries. More information explaining the character requirements is available from this website. See: Character requirements
How to apply
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions - the FAQs will answer your queries about eligibility, and how to prepare and lodge your application.
- Download and complete Form 1208 (Hint: This form is located under the 'How to apply' section of the 'Visa applicants' tab)
- Review the Document Checklist (Hint: This checklist is located under the 'Document checklist' section of the 'Visa applicants' tab) - this will help you to make sure your application is complete.
- Make sure you have the right application fee - the Visa Application Charge can be paid either by credit card, cash or bank draft. Personal cheques cannot be accepted.
- Lodge a complete application at the Australian Visa Application Centre, ensuring that you have provided a current Malaysian CGC.
Other related information
This page was last updated on 4 December 2014