Australian High Commission

How and where to lodge your application

How to lodge your application

Different types of visas can be processing by different visa offices. To avoid delays, you should lodge your application with the designated visa processing office.

How to apply

  1. Check the requirements for your visa application
    Make sure that you have chosen the right visa that suits the purpose of your visit to Australia. Information on the different types of visa is available on the Visa information section of the website.
  2. Complete the correct form
    Different visas have different forms. Check that you have completed the correct form for the visa you are applying for.  Application forms are available for download from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.  Checklists are also available to help you make sure that you have included all the necessary documentation with the form.
  3. Attach 2 recent passport sized colour photographs with your application
  4. Lodge a complete application
    Lodge a complete application by including all the necessary documents and paying the correct application fee (if applicable), otherwise there may be delays processing your application. See the Where to lodge your application section below to find out where you should submit your application. To see how long it takes to process your application, visit the Processing times section of the website.

Authorising other people to communication with us

Without your permission, we legally cannot discuss visa applications (including reasons for decisions) with friends, sponsors, agents or other third parties.
If you wish to authorise another person receive communication and act on your behalf, you will need to advise us in writing:

  • To appoint someone to receive communication and act on your behalf – complete Form 956 (PDF, 136 Kb, 5 pages).
  • To appoint someone to only receive communication on your behalf – complete Form 956A (PDF, 120 Kb, 7 pages).

Make sure you read the information carefully at the front of the form before completing it.

Additional requirements for children

In any application including a child under the age of 18, all people with custody of the child (usually the parents) who are not travelling with the child must provide consent for the child to travel to Australia.

To show consent, you must provide the following documents as part of the application:

  • A certified or notarised copy of the child’s birth certificate showing both parents’ names; AND
  • Certified permission from the non-accompanying parent/s approving the child’s travel to Australia for the proposed period; AND
  • A copy of the passport identification pages of the parent/s not travelling with the child or another identification document with a photo and signature.


  • A legal document (such as court decision) depriving the non-travelling parent of parental rights.


Where to lodge your application

Malaysian & Brunei citizens

If you are a Malaysian or Brunei citizen, an electronic visa lodgement option may be available.

For a tourist or short business visa, you may be eligible for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). To apply for an ETA, go to

Applicants living in Brunei

Brunei residents may lodge an application for any type of visa (including a Resident Return Visa or Australian Declaratory Visa) or Australian citizenship by descent at the Australian Visa Application Centre in Malaysia, either in person or by post/courier.

Please note that if a Brunei resident chooses to lodge a visa application (other than a Resident Return Visa or Australian Declaratory Visa application) in person at VFS Global they will need to provide their biometrics like other Malaysian-based applicants.See: Biometrics collection

Applicants living in Malaysia

If you are living in any part of Malaysia (including residents of Johor Bahru) and want to lodge a paper application for one of the following types of visas, you must submit your application in person to the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC), when your biometrics (fingerprints and/or facial photograph) will be collected:

• Visitor Visa
• Student Visa
• Temporary Work (Short/Long Stay) Visa
• Transit Visa
• Permanent Entry Visa
• Medical Treatment Visa
• Work and Holiday Visa

Note: If you decide to lodge your application by post/courier, you will still be asked to provide your biometrics in person at the AVAC, which will significantly delay the processing of your application.

From Monday 26 May 2014 the following paper applications must also be submitted to the AVAC and can no longer be lodged directly at the Australian High Commission:

• Citizenship by Descent (CBD)
• Resident Return Visas (RRVs)
• Australian Declaratory Visas (ADV)

As CBD, RRV and ADV applicants do not need to provide their biometrics, these applications can be submitted to the AVAC by post/courier or in person.

Online applications

Some visa applications can be lodged online, and from 22 August 2014, CBD applications can also be lodged online.  To lodge any application online, you will need to have an ImmiAccount.  Please visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website for further information about all of its online services.

Biometrics collection

Most applicants who lodge a visa application in person will have their digital facial photograph and fingerprints taken at the Australian Visa Application Centre. There is no additional cost to visa applicants.

Applicants who are under 15 years of age, persons incapable of providing consent, or those physically unable to provide a fingerprint scan will only need to provide a facial photograph.

If you have applied online for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA - Subclass 601) you will not need to provide biometrics.  However, if you have applied for another type of visa online, you may be requested to provide biometrics.  Please click on the link below to find out more about biometrics collection outside Australia.


This page was last updated on 25 August 2014