Australian High Commission

Post lodgement - what happens next

Post lodgement – what happens next

Processing times

Processing times vary for different types of visa and citizenship applications. Our service standards are published on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website. 

Note that although applications are submitted at the Australian Visa Appllication Centre (AVAC), all applications continue to be assessed and decided at the Australian High Commission, and the service standard time for processing commences when your application reaches the Australian High Commission.


Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

Electronic Travel Authority holders will need to apply for a new ETA if a new passport is issued.

If you have an ETA and would like to enquire about the status, you have the following options:

  • If you applied online - use the 'Check an ETA' option on  You will need the Reference Number displayed when your ETA was approved.
  • If you obtained your ETA through a travel agent - you will need to contact your travel agent who will be able to check your visa status.
  • If the travel agent cannot help, you can email and ask to confirm if you hold a valid ETA. You will need to provide your name, passport number, passport country and date of birth.


Visa evidencing / visa label

Australia’s visa label policy

The Australian Government does not require holders of Australian visas to have a visa label in their passport.

We electronically record all visas issued to non-citizens providing them permission to travel, enter and/or remain in Australia.  This means that evidence of a visa grant in the form of a visa label is no longer routinely issued to visa holders.  Instead, electronic visas are linked to a visa holder's current passport, which enables us to provide accurate, secure and real-time information about a visa holder's visa details.  It is also more secure than issuing a visa label, as it reduces the risk of fraud.

Having this electronic connection also enables online checking of visa details by visa holders, airlines, registered Australian organisations and Australian Government agencies.

About your visa

When you receive your Australian visa you are issued with a visa grant notification letter that explains the conditions of your visa, including the period of visa validity and entry requirements.  You should retain this for your own reference and may wish to carry it with you when you travel, as it contains important information about your visa.  The information contained within the grant notification letter will help you check your visa details online using the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's Visa Entitlement Verification Online service, known as VEVO.

For more information, see: Visa labels

Visa Evidence Charge

If you choose to have a visa label placed in your passport, you will need to submit your passport to the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) and pay a Visa Evidence Charge (VEC).  From 1 July 2014 the VEC will increase to AUD$150.

If you wish to submit your passport to the AVAC in person, you are encouraged to do so by making an appointment with the AVAC.  Alternatively, you can arrange for a courier or third party to submit and collect your passport by authorising them to do so in writing. Your nominated person will need to bring the letter of authorisation from you and their photographic identification with them when they visit the AVAC.

Updating your passport details by email

Electronic Travel Authority holders will need to apply for a new ETA if a new passport is issued.

For all other valid visa holders (including eVisas), you can request for your passport details to be updated instead of obtaining a new visa label.  To do this you will need to:

  1. Scan a copy of the page with your personal details from both your old and new passports; and
  2. Attach the scanned image and email to with the subject line 'Request to update passport details'.

Once your passport details have been updated, a case officer will send you a confirmation email.  

Visa cancellation requests

Claiming superannuation

If you wish for your visa to be cancelled so you can request payment for superannuation benefits you accrued while in Australia, you will need to lodge your request with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Hobart office. More information about the Departing Australia Superannuation Payments Scheme, including how to lodge your request, is available from the department’s website.


Student eVisas

If you previously held a student eVisa and are having difficulties to lodge a new Student eVisa application online, you will need to email the eVisa Students Helpdesk at for assistance.


Other visa cancellation requests

Some visa holders who previously applied online for a visa (such as a student visa) may be prevented from applying for a further visa online (for example, a student visa holder seeking an ETA). Legislation permits the cancellation of a temporary visa if a client requests this in writing.

If you would like your visa cancelled, please complete a 'Visa Cancellation Request' form and follow the instructions on the form. We aim to action visa cancellation requests within three working days of receipt of the request.  Once you have been notified that your visa has been cancelled, you will then be able to apply for a new visa online unhindered.

Note 1: Legislation does NOT permit the cancellation of permanent visas simply upon the basis that the visa holder has requested it.

Note 2: If you currently hold a student visa, and simply wish to return to Australia to attend your graduation ceremony, then you can do this on your student visa, so long as you enter and depart Australia before your student visa expires.



This page was last updated on 30 June 2014