The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (the department) at the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur processes visa applications and applications for citizenship by descent, for people who are resident in Malaysia and Brunei.
Everyone, with the exception of Australian or New Zealand citizens, requires a visa prior to travelling to Australia.
Please do not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.
Visa related FAQs
Answers to the following FAQs can be found here.
- What type of visa should I apply for?
- Can I apply for a visa on-line?
- How do I lodge an application in Malaysia?
- How do I lodge an application in Brunei?
- What happens after I lodge my application with the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)?
- What is a complete application?
- Can I get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visa?
- How long will it take for the department to process my visa application?
- Can I request priority processing?
- Can someone else make enquiries or receive information in relation to my application?
- Do I need a visa label to travel to Australia?
- My application was refused and I don’t think it was a fair decision - can this be appealed?
- I am subject to an exclusion period – does that mean I can never go to Australia again?
- Taking your domestic helper on your holiday in Australia?
2016-17 Malaysia/Australia Work and Holiday Visa Programme - All appointments have been taken
Applying for a visa to Australia
For information on where to apply for your visa see here.
Not sure what visa to apply for? Use the visa finder tool on the department’s website.
Applying for Australian Citizenship
Applications for Australian citizenship by descent are processed at the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur. A person born outside Australia who is the child of an Australian citizen parent at birth may acquire Australian citizenship by descent. See here for more information about Australian citizenship by descent eligibility.
All other categories of citizenship application (grant/adoption/renunciation/resumption/evidence) must be lodged in Australia. For details, see the Australian Citizenship page of the department's website.
This page was last updated on 12 July 2016