Australian High Commission

Australian Child Passport - Under 15 years old - Mail in Application


Step 1 - Fill out your application form (Australian Passport Overseas Application). 

You should complete the application form online at the following website -

Once you have completed the form online, you will need to print (hardcopy) the form.

Sign and date the form using black pen. Please do not use whiteout on any declaration section. If you make a mistake, you can cross it out and initial next to the change. If you have signed incorrectly, please fill in a new form.

If you have problems creating an AusPassport account, or completing the online form, please call +603 2146 5575 or email [email protected].

Step 2 – Child’s identity and Australian citizenship

An Australian birth certificate or citizenship certificate is not required for mailed in application. However, we will contact you directly should it be required by the Australian Passport Office.

Step 3 – Written consent from parents

Written consent must be given by each person who has parental responsibility for the child.  Generally, people with parental responsibility are the parents named on the child's full birth certificate.

Lodging Parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child must provide copies of original passport or valid photo ID and a proof address in Malaysia. Photocopies should be in good quality. Black and white or colour photocopies are acceptable.

Please note, if there are any changes in parental circumstances or new supporting documents are required, we may ask that you provide certified copies.

If those with parental responsibility are in different locations when the child's passport application is lodged, the non-lodging parent can provide written consent via email or through the Australian Post or Passport Office. Please click here for more information.

The consent declaration on Section 15 must be read and signed by the parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child.  Section 13 (A) and 14 (A) must be your exact name as shown on your child’s birth certificate.  Section 13 (B) and Section 14 (B) must be your most current name as shown on your ID documents. 

The signatures must be witnessed as instructed on the application form.  The witness cannot be related to the child and the family by birth or marriage or be in a de facto relationship with either of the child's parents or live at the same address.

Step 4 - Take two passport photos.

It is important that you refer to the photo guidelines for more information and for presentation to the photo studio for acceptable photos.

Your Guarantor (see Step 5) must endorse one photo in black pen as follows: “This is a true photo of [the applicant’s full name]”, and then sign it below.  Do not use paper clips or staples to attach photos to the form as this may damage them.

Passport photos taken in Malaysian photography shops are often digitally altered and do not meet the Australian passport photograph guidelines. We recommend that you obtain a soft copy of your photos and email to [email protected], as we may need to reprint your photo if the copy printed by shop is digitally altered.

Step 5 – Guarantor

As well as endorsing the child’s photo, ensure Section 11 is completed by a guarantor who meets the following criteria:

  • is 18 years of age or over
  • has known the applicant for at least 12 months (or, for children under one year, since birth)
  • is not related to the applicant by birth, marriage, de facto or same sex relationship, or live at the applicant's address
  • holds a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years validity OR be currently employed in the following approved professional or occupational group.
  • Accountants who are members of either the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants, National Institute of Accountants or Association of Taxation and Management Accountants. Specify which membership status applies.
  • Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys
  • Bank Managers except managers of bank travel centres
  • Chartered Professional Engineers
  • Clerk of Courts
  • Dentists
  • Elected Representatives of Federal Parliaments and State Parliaments
  • Judges
  • Marriage Celebrants
  • Members of the Governance Institute of Australia (formerly Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries)
  • Pharmacists
  • Police Officers with at least 5 years continuous service
  • Postal Managers
  • Public Servants who are current full-time employees of Commonwealth, State, territory or local Governments or Statutory Authorities and who have been employed continuously for at least 5 years by their current employer
  • Registered Chiropractors
  • Registered medical practitioners
  • Registered Nurses or Midwives
  • Registered Optometrists
  • Registered Physiotherapists
  • Registered Psychologists
  • Registered Tax Agents
  • Registered Veterinary Surgeons
  • Teachers who are full time and who have been teaching for more than five years at schools or tertiary institutions

Step 6 – Additional documents  

 Parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child must provide photocopies of original passport or valid photo ID and a proof address in Malaysia. Photocopies should be good quality, and black and white or colour photocopies are acceptable.

Proof of address can be utility bills, bank or credit card statements, motor vehicle registrations, insurance papers, property rates notice or property lease agreement.

If yours or the other parent’s current name is different to the name as it appears on the child’s birth certificate, you must provide photocopies of proof of name change documents such as a marriage certificate, divorce certificate or name change certificate.

Step 7 – Sign and date the application form

If you have completed the form online, print the application, sign, and date Section 17 of the application form IN BLACK PEN. Make sure there are no alterations to signatures or dates.  

Children aged 10 and over need to sign the application form Section 18, in the box provided separately from the declaration (which is signed by a parent or a person with parental responsibility).

Step 8 – Payment

For payments methods, please refer here .

Step 9 – Courier your application to

Australian High Commission

Consular and Passport Section

6, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng

50450 Kuala Lumpur.

Step 10 – How long will it take?

Please allow a minimum of six weeks to receive a new passport. Application process will only start from the time when all mandatory requirements are met. Please note incomplete applications will cause delays.

Step 11 – New passport collection

Once the new passport is ready, you will be notified by phone or email. You can either collect your new passport directly from our office in person or organise a courier pick up service.

If you arrange a courier pick up, please forward the airway bill attachment via email to [email protected] .

Step 12 – Activation of the New passport

Once you have received your new passport, please complete the collection acknowledgment slip form and e-mail it to [email protected] and we will activate your new passport. Please note that failure to notify us on the receipt of your passport may cause inconvenience when you travel.

You will need to arrange with the Malaysian Department of Immigration to transfer your Malaysian visa (including visa on arrival/visitor visa) from your old passport to your new passport. Malaysian Immigration will not allow you to leave the country if you have not transferred the visa to your current passport.

Before you transfer your visa, we recommend you physically cancel your old passport. You can cancel your old passport by holding the passport cover page and the biodata page together and cutting the MRZ code off (MRZ code looks like <<<1234>>>, which is at the bottom part of your biodata page). Once your old passport has been physically cancelled, please destroy the MRZ codes.


Frequently Asked Questions


1.Can I mail-in a first-time child passport application?

  • No. First time child applications must be lodged in person at your nearest mission. Applicants aged up to 15 years old who have held a previous passport are eligible to apply by mail.


2. Do I include the applicant’s previous passport with the application?

  • No need to send the physical passport.


3.Do I need to include a copy of the applicant’s previous passport bio data page?

  • No.


4. Do I need to include a copy of the applicant’s birth certificate?

  • No.


5. Do I need to include a copy of the applicant’s citizenship certificate?

  • No.


6. Do both parents have to provide certified copies of their identity documents?

  • No, photocopies do not need to be certified.

7. How will I know if/when my application has been received at post? 

  • You will be contacted once we have received your application at the High Commission.


8. Will the mission post the child’s new passport to me?

  • No, you can either collect your new passport in person directly from our office or organise a courier pick up service. If you arrange a courier pick up, please forward the airway bill attachment via email to [email protected].


9.What if I cannot access the online portal to complete and print a PC8 application to renew my child’s passports?

  • Contact us on +603 2146 5575 to request a PC8 renewal form which can be emailed to you.