Australian High Commission

Visas and Citizenship

Welcome to the Department of Home Affairs at the Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur.

COVID-19 and the border

From 6 July 2022, the way you ​travel to and from Australia has changed. All travellers should be aware that:

  • People entering Australia do not need to provide evidence of vaccination status
  • People entering Australia do not need to complete the Digital Passenger Declaration or Maritime Travel Declaration
  • People leaving Australia will not be asked to provide evidence of their vaccination status
  • Unvaccinated visa holders do not​ need a travel exemption to travel to Australia
  • Masks are still required on flights travelling to Australia.

It is important to remember that airlines, vessel operators and other countries may have specific requirements that travellers need to comply with.

For more information, please see: COVID-19 and the border (

If you do not hold a visa

If you do not hold a visa you can not travel to Australia. Applicants should apply for a visa as soon as they make travel plans to ensure sufficient time for processing of the visa. Processing times may vary, however we recommend you apply in advance of planned travel dates and do not confirm your booking until you hold a visa.  For processing times, please see:

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

ETAs are only available through the new Australian ETA app channel for all eligible jurisdictions.   

  • Travellers can apply for an ETA through the app if they meet all ETA eligibility requirements and can visit an app store to download the Australian ETA app: Apple or Android.
  • The ETA app provides an improved user experience through a simple, secure, convenient, fast and flexible platform from an individuals’ mobile device by automating a number of steps within an ETA application.
  • Notification of the result of an application lodged through the ETA app will be received within 12 hours.  

If your application requires further information you will be sent a letter via email with instructions to complete an online form through ImmiAccount. You should complete this form and attach all requested additional documents as soon as possible. If you provide an incomplete submission or incorrect information, your application will be delayed or refused.

You can read more about providing additional information for your ETA application here.

Apply for a visa:

ETA Update for applicants requested to provide further information

We have made some changes to the way you provide further information for your ETA application.

If you submitted your ETA application through the Australian ETA APP before 1 July and received a request to provide further information but you have not yet provided that information, we will be sending you a new link by email.

Please use the new link to submit your further information. You can read more about providing further information for your ETA application here.

Biometrics Collection

Please visit the AVAC website for current operating arrangements.

You can use your existing Requirement to provide personal identifiers (biometrics) letter to book and attend an appointment when available. If you have applied for your visa online, a copy of this letter is available in your ImmiAccount. To make an appointment to provide biometrics, visit the AVAC website.

The AVAC will not accept paper applications. You should lodge a visa application online (see below).

Refunds & waivers of visa application charges

Some visa holders impacted by Australia's COVID-19 travel restrictions may be able to access a refund or a waiver of their Visa Application Charge (VAC).

  • Prospecitive Marriage (subclass 300) visa holders unable to enter Australia before their visa ceased may be eligible for a refund of the VAC
  • If you were granted a Working Holiday Maker (subclass 462) visa, you may be able to receive a VAC waiver for a future application or a refund. A VAC waiver will apply for a further application if you were unable to travel to Australia because of travel restrictions or had to depart Australia early due to COVID-19. If you have since passed the age limit for a WHM visa and are not eligible to lodge a further application, you will be able to receive a refund instead.
  • A VAC waiver will be available for Visitor (Tourist) (subclass 600) visa holders whose visas expired while outside Australia following implementation of COVID-19 travel restrictions on 20 March 2020.

Eligible applicants can request a refund through the online form: COVID-19 travel restrictions – Visa application charge (VAC) refund request form (

For further information, please visit: Refunds and waivers of Visa Application Charges | COVID-19 and the border (

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

You can find answers to all our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.

Electronic Travel Authorities (ETAs)

Applying for other visas

If you have already lodged a visa application

I already have a visa

Australian Citizenship by Descent

Warning regarding visa scams in Malaysia

For information on known visa scams in Malaysia, click here.

International surrogacy arrangements

The Department of Home Affairs  exercises extreme caution to ensure that, where surrogacy arrangements are made outside Australia, our citizenship provisions are not misused to circumvent adoption and other child welfare laws.

Persons considering bringing a child to live in Australia must apply for either a visa or Australian citizenship by descent and should first read the information available on the Department’s website. It is important to consider any visa, citizenship and passport application requirements, as well as processing times, before entering into any arrangements.

Citizenship by descent applications through surrogacy may take longer to process than other citizenship by descent applications due to the additional assurance measures required in assessing such applications.

News/Important Information

Mandatory online lodgement for Visitor visas

From 30 September 2021, anyone applying for a Visitor Visa (subclass 600) from outside Australia in any stream must lodge their application online via ImmiAccount. Anyone applying for a Visitor Visa (subclass 600) in Australia in the Tourist stream may lodge their application online via ImmiAccount or by posting their application to the Sydney office. The courier option will no longer be available.

The Australian ETA app is the only available channel to apply for an ETA. Travel Agents are able to use the app to lodge ETA applications on behalf of clients. For more information see: Subclass 601 Electronic Travel Authority (

More information on ImmiAccount and  Visitor Visas can be found on the Department’s website at

General Enquiries

The Australian High Commission is unable to respond to  visa, citizenship or customs enquiries.  You should visit the Department of Home Affairs website at Immigration and citizenship ( or call the Home Affairs Global Service Centre number on +61 2 6196 0196, open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (Malaysia time).

Citizenship by Descent 

Citizenship by Descent applications lodged on or after 1 October 2020 will be processed in Australia.  

We strongly recommend that you lodge an application using the Department’s online service here.

If you are unable to lodge online please post your citizenship by descent application to the following address:

     Citizenship Section
     Department of Home Affairs
     GPO Box 794
     HOBART  TAS  7001




For information on ways to become an Australian citizen and citizenship services, see the Australian Citizenship page of the Department's website.

Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas

  • The Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa program is open to eligible Malaysian nationals.

  • There are 1,100 places available for Malaysian nationals each year.  You should apply as soon as possible if you wish to be considered for a Work and Holiday visa. 

  • Applicants from Malaysia must lodge online. For information about applying please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


Previous News

  • From 1 July 2018 applications for Partner and Prospective Marriage visas must be lodged online, via ImmiAccount.  More information on the changes is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website.  Payment of the visa application charge will need to be made online via the ImmiAccount portal.
  • From 1 July 2018 applications for Other Family (Carer, Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative) visas must be sent by post or courier to the Perth Visa and Citizenship Office. More information on the changes is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website. Payment of the visa application charge will need to be made online via the ImmiAccount portal.
  • From 1 July 2018 applications for Transit visas must be lodged online, via ImmiAccount.  More information on the changes is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs’ website.
  • From 31 May 2018 Student visa applicants who apply in Malaysia will be required to provide biometric identifiers. This will assist the Department of Home Affairs' capacity to identify and authenticate visa applicants - strengthening Australian border security measures. Biometric data is an important tool in identity management globally, helping countries facilitate the arrival of travellers and combat fraud and integrity risks.

  • The Australian Government has announced the establishment of a Community Support Programme (CSP) from 1 July 2017.  The CSP will enable communities and businesses, as well as families and individuals, to propose humanitarian visa applicants and support new humanitarian arrivals in their settlement journey.  More information can be found here.

  • New sponsorship requirements for Partner and Prospective Marriage Visa applications

Contact us

We want you to find what you’re looking for. Save time by using our online services and guides, or get in touch with us.

Contact us (

If you have a complex issue or can't find the information on the website, you can call our Global Service Centre (GSC). Have your documents ready to e​stablish your identity.

Global Service Centre

You can contact us Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm local time. We receive a high volume of telephone enquiries each day. Monday is our peak day and wait times may be longer. ​Our GSC is closed on Australian National Public Holidays.

Outside Australia
Phone: +61 2 6196 0196​

In Australia
Phone: 131 881

This page was last updated on 13 July 2022.