On this page:
An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is an electronically stored authority equivalent to a visa linked to a passport number. The holder must use the same passport to travel to Australia.
Passport holders of certain countries (including Malaysia and Brunei) may be eligible to apply for an ETA. The ETA lets you visit Australia:
- for tourism or business visitor purposes;
- as many times as you want, for up to one year; and
- stay up to three months for each visit.
All ETA-eligible applicants can apply for an ETA through a travel agent, airline or specialist service provider (you should check with your travel agent regarding whether they will charge you a fee for this service).
Certain passport holders, including Malaysian and Brunei nationals can also apply for an ETA online. To lodge an application online, please visit the Department's website: https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas. Sometimes there will be a delay before the system can finalise your application. You can check the progress of your application using the 'check ETA' function.
Some ETAs cannot be approved over the internet due to checks required by the Australian Government. If your application for an ETA was lodged online or through a travel agent, and has not been approved, you will need to provide further information by email. Please do not approach the High Commission in person.
Important information to note
- The processing time for ETA applications is two weeks
- We advise applicants not to make travel commitments until advised of a visa grant. If you have made travel arrangements, and your application is still within the processing time, you should contact your travel advisor to rearrange your bookings.
- Due to the number of equiries received, we cannot provide processing updates if your application is within the processing time.
- We cannot escalate cases unless for compelling emergency reasons (pre-arranged travel is not a compelling reason and we are unable to respond to these requests).
- If your application is unsuccessful, you will need to lodge a new application to address the concerns in the decision letter.
To lodge an application for an ETA, you will need to provide:
- A completed ETA Additional Information Request Form (download the form here); and
- A copy of the ETA applicant’s passport biodata page (the page with the passport holder’s details and photo) and passport observation page; and
- A copy of the screenshot of the ETA referral screen (if available); and
- Additional supporting documents (see below).
You must send the following information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send multiple messages.
Additional supporting documents
The Department also requires you to provide additional information to determine that you genuinely intend to visit Australia for tourism or business visitor purposes. To assess your application, you need to provide a decision maker with information about yourself. This includes information about your intended travel and your personal circumstances.
You should provide:
1. A statement and itinerary regarding your intended stay in Australia. Please include evidence of any arrangements made (if any).
2. A list of your immediate family members (including full names and dates of birth), indicating which of these family members will be travelling with you.
3. Details of other travelling companions or people accompanying you on the trip other than family members. Please include their full name and date of birth.
4. Details of all family, friends and contacts in Australia. Please include their full names and dates of birth. Please indicate if they are Australian citizens or permanent residents. If not, please indicate visa status and reason for their stay in Australia.
5. Evidence of your employment / commitments. This could be:
a. A statement from the employer indicating your annual salary and that you have approved leave for your travel to Australia, or
b. If you and/or your sponsor are self-employed, business registration documents and financial records for the business (such as bank statements), or
c. Other evidence of incentives to return such as education or other commitments in your home country.
If you are not employed, please provide other evidence of your financial capacity or evidence from the person who supports you (including evidence of your relationship with that person).
6. Bank statements showing at least the previous two months’ transactions. Please include all bank accounts that you and/or your sponsor hold.
You must e-mail a complete application to email@example.com.
We will notify you by email once a decision is made on your ETA application. Processing times are currently two weeks.