Australian High Commission

Child Passport - Under 18 years old


Step 1 - Fill out your application form (Australian Passport Overseas Application). 

You should complete the application form online at the following website -

Sign and date the form using black pen. Please do not use whiteout on any declaration section. If you make a mistake, you can cross it out and initial next to the change. If you have signed incorrectly, please fill in a new form.

If you have problems creating an AusPassport account, or completing the online form, please call +603 2146 5575 or email [email protected].

Step 2 - Prove the child’s identity and Australian citizenship

Each child passport application must be supported by:

  • Original Australian Citizenship Certificate and original foreign birth certificate or
  • Full Australian birth certificate – extracts, commemorative birth certificate or birth cards cannot be used. 

If your child was born in Australia after 20 August 1986, you must also provide one of the following documents:

  • an Australian citizenship certificate in your name, or
  • an Australian passport issued in your name on or after 1 January 2000 that was valid for at least two years, or
  • documents that prove you’re a citizen by birth.

Please click here for more information on the above.

If the child was born in Malaysia or anywhere outside of Australia, you must provide the child’s original birth certificate and the original Australian citizenship certificate. For more information on citizenship certificates, please click here.

If the child has a birth certificate in a language other than English or partially in English, you must provide a translation prepared by a registered translation service.

Step 3 – Written consent from parents

Written consent must be given by each person who has parental responsibility for the child.  Generally, people with parental responsibility are the parents named on the child's full birth certificate.

Lodging parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child must provide original passport or valid photo ID and a proof address in Malaysia.

If those with parental responsibility are in different locations when the child's passport application is lodged, the non-lodging parent can provide written consent via email or through the Australian Post or Passport Office. Please click here for more information.

The consent declaration on Section 15 must be read and signed by the parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child.  Section 13 (A) and 14 (A) must be your exact name as shown on your child’s birth certificate.  Section 13 (B) and Section 14 (B) must be your most current name as shown on your ID documents. 

The signatures must be witnessed as instructed on the application form.  The witness cannot be related to the child and the family by birth or marriage or be in a de facto relationship with either of the child's parents or live at the same address.

Step 4 - Take two passport photos.

It is important that you refer to the photo guidelines for more information and for presentation to the photo studio for acceptable photos.

Your Guarantor (see Step 5) must endorse one photo in black pen as follows: “This is a true photo of [the applicant’s full name]”, and then sign it below.  Do not use paper clips or staples to attach photos to the form as this may damage them.

Passport photos taken in Malaysian photography shops are often digitally altered and do not meet the Australian passport photograph guidelines. We recommend that you obtain a soft copy of your photos and email to [email protected], as we may need to reprint your photo if the copy printed by shop is digitally altered.

Step 5 – Guarantor

As well as endorsing the child’s photo, ensure Section 11 is completed by a guarantor who meets the following criteria:

  • is 18 years of age or over
  • has known the applicant for at least 12 months (or, for children under one year, since birth)
  • is not related to the applicant by birth, marriage, de facto or same sex relationship, or live at the applicant's address
  • holds a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years validity OR be currently employed in the following approved professional or occupational group.
  • Accountants who are members of either the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Australian Society of Certified Practicing Accountants, National Institute of Accountants or Association of Taxation and Management Accountants. Specify which membership status applies.
  • Barristers, Solicitors and Patent Attorneys
  • Bank Managers except managers of bank travel centres
  • Chartered Professional Engineers
  • Clerk of Courts
  • Dentists
  • Elected Representatives of Federal Parliaments and State Parliaments
  • Judges
  • Marriage Celebrants
  • Members of the Governance Institute of Australia (formerly Chartered Institute of Company Secretaries)
  • Pharmacists
  • Police Officers with at least 5 years continuous service
  • Postal Managers
  • Public Servants who are current full-time employees of Commonwealth, State, territory or local Governments or Statutory Authorities and who have been employed continuously for at least 5 years by their current employer
  • Registered Chiropractors
  • Registered medical practitioners
  • Registered Nurses or Midwives
  • Registered Optometrists
  • Registered Physiotherapists
  • Registered Psychologists
  • Registered Tax Agents
  • Registered Veterinary Surgeons
  • Teachers who are full time and who have been teaching for more than five years at schools or tertiary institutions

Step 6 – Additional documents  

Lodging parents or persons with parental responsibility for the child must provide original passport or valid photo ID and a proof address in Malaysia.

If yours or the other parent’s current name is different to the name as it appears on the child’s birth certificate, you must provide proof of name change documents such as a marriage certificate, divorce certificate or name change certificate.

Step 7 – Sign and date the application form

If you have completed the form online, print the application, sign, and date Section 17 of the application form IN BLACK PEN. Make sure there are no alterations to signatures or dates.  

Children aged 10 and over need to sign the application form Section 18, in the box provided separately from the declaration (which is signed by a parent or a person with parental responsibility).

Step 8 – Make an appointment to lodge your passport application. 

The Passport Office operates an appointment system and we will not see you without an appointment.

Book an appointment with Australian High Commission - Kuala Lumpur using SetMore


Step 9 – Lodge your application and pay your fee.  

Applications need to be lodged in person by a parent or the person with parental responsibility. Children aged 16 or 17 must accompany their parent to lodge an application. Children under 16 do not have to do so.

Things to bring:

  1. The completed and signed Australian Passport Overseas Application form.
  2. The child’s most recent Australian passport, if applicable.
  3. Proof of the child’s citizenship and birth certificate (see Step 2).
  4. Two passport photos (see Step 4).
  5. Additional documents (see Step 6).
  6. Lodging parent’s current original passport or a valid photo ID
  7. Proof of address of the lodging parent
  8. A Visa or Mastercard card to pay the fee. Please click here for fees.