Australian High Commission

Marriage in Malaysia

Marriage  in Malaysia

From 1 January 1995, Australian consular and diplomatic officers are no longer empowered to perform marriages overseas. Since that date, any legally performed marriage in an overseas country, which would have been legal had it been performed in Australia, is accepted as a legal marriage under Australian law.

 In order to register your marriage in Malaysia, local authorities would require Australian Citizens to obtain either a Single Status Certificate or a Certificate of No Impediment. We are aware of instances where both documents were asked for by the local authorities. Please contact the Malaysian Registration Department or State Islamic Department for advice on their document requirements.

The Australian High Commission can only issue a Certificate of No Impediment and does not issue any other documents in to respect to marriages in Malaysia.

Single status certificate can only be issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (RBDM) in Australia.

For exact details of what requirements will need to be met in order for a marriage in Malaysia, persons wishing to marry in Malaysia should contact the following general information may also be of assistance.  If you are undergoing a civil marriage, please refer to the National Registration Department for Marriages for further information, or if you are undergoing an Islamic ceremony, please refer to the relevant Islamic state department

Single Status Certificate

Single Status Certificates can only be issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in accordance to which state the applicant is resident in. The High Commission can not assist in the issuance of these certificates and all enquiries must be directed to the relevant authority.

Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

To apply for a CNI, you and your partner need to provide supporting documentation. At least one person applying for the CNI must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

 If an Australian citizen, a valid Australian passport.

If an Australian permanent resident, a valid foreign passport with evidence of permanent residence in Australia.

If a foreign citizen, a valid foreign passport or valid photo identification

If divorced, a Divorce Certificate for the previous marriage.

If widowed, the deceased partner's Death Certificate.

If under 18 years of age, a copy of the judicial authorisation to marry. This must be issued by an Australian court of law.

Supporting documents can be originals, or certified true copies.

If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an English translation that's performed by a professional translator.

The application form for Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage should be completed by applicant. Forms will be provided to you at your appointment or please click here to download the form.

Consular fee: link

Further information on Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) can be found here.


  NOTARIAL SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please click here to make an appointment.


Further information on civil marriage procedures in Malaysia can be obtained from:

National Registration Department
Kementerian Hal Ehwal Dalam Negeri
Lot 2G5, Presint 2
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutan
62551 Putrajaya
Tel: (03) 8880 7000
Fax: (03) 8880 7059

Further information on Islamic marriage procedures in Malaysia can be obtained from:

Jabatan Agama Islam
Kompleks Pusat Islam
Jalan Perdana
50519 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 60-3-22749333
Kuala Lumpur office: 60-3-2692-5018/2692-5044
Web site: